What’s more hot than a flaky dessert, dipped in honey and shared with the one you love? Yeah, it takes a bit of prep and build up, but so does the art of romance, does it not?
Sopapillas are a sentimental recipe for me. My grandfather brought the recipe over from Central Mexico when he moved to America. I used to love watching him sit in the kitchen and toss flirtatious comments to my grandma as she dropped the dough in the deep fryer. And then later, they’d cuddle against the counter and share one (or two) together.
The moments were so romantic, that when All Romance asked for romantic recipes I knew I had to share this one. Click HERE to download the free e-cookbook and see all the other fantastically romantic recipes.
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 quarts oil for frying
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. Stir in water a little at a time until dough is smooth texture. Cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Roll out on floured surface until ⅛-inch thick. Cut into 4 to 5-inch squares or triangles. Set aside.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees F and fry until golden brown, flipping with tongs to ensure both sides are evenly tanned.
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle powdered sugar to desired amount and serve hot. As an alternative to the powdered sugar, you can sprinkle cinnamon sugar. To do this, mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon sugar, blend well and sprinkle to desired amount.
- Serve with honey for dipping and enjoy! Makes about 2 dozen.
The Hispanic culture has always held a rich romantic element to me. When Damani Wassack, the main male character to my last installment of the Telomere Trilogy, popped into my mental life I knew he was from a Hispanic heritage. In End of Eternity, he tries not to be romantic or sentimental, but can’t stop his nature… especially against the Dokkaebi warrior Luna Dokkaebi. He knows that her hostile and contrary personality is only used to hide her fear of a world and an attraction to him she doesn’t understand.
End of Eternity – Book Blurb
Luna thought her journey away from her people’s world was over. Now, she’s forced to join the lost daughter in her journey with Captain Noah Bonney’s crew to learn why these women coexist with men. Something unbelievable to the all woman race. Adding to the confusing change in Dokkaebi directive and teachings, is the presence of the gold-eyed man that stirred something in her heart. A forbidden attraction that goes against all her teachings and her people’s ways.
Damani Wassack isn’t happy with the situation either. Telomere Watchers lead secluded and separate lives. Yet now, he and the other watchers must come to the surface, show all their secrets and work with outsiders. If that weren’t enough, he can’t get that sneer from the man-hating warrior woman out of his mind. Or her fierce dedication, strong spirit, and sense of duty and honor. The package is appealing, and completely impossible.
Purchase Links for End of Eternity